Holy Cross Chapel was founded on Ash Wednesday in 1982 by Msgr. Albert J. Beck in the basement of the Jesse Jones 1929 building at 905 Main Street. Msgr. Beck was later joined by his retired brother, Msgr. George Beck, and both priests served many downtown workers who attended the Chapel for daily Mass, confession, and spiritual direction. In 2001, the Archdiocese purchased the building and after much prayer and hard work, the beautiful Chapel was constructed on the ground floor and moved from the basement. At the Chapel’s dedication in December 2005, Archbishop Joseph A. Fiorenza noted in his homily that we were finally leaving the catacombs.
Holy Cross Chapel has seating for 135 people. The architectural and artistic elements of the Chapel create a space where we can adore God, thank Him for our blessings, and ask for His help in our needs. The confessional makes it very easy for the penitent to be anonymous as he seeks forgiveness for his sins, or, one may make his confession face to face with the priest. It is a peaceful and quiet respite where people come throughout the day to be refreshed and strengthened.
In 2009, we renovated the second floor of the building with a Book Store, conference room, large meeting room, offices and a kitchen. This facility provides more space for activities such as the Business Ethics Forum, Thomas More Society, Days of Recollection, and talks for large or small groups. With these modern facilities and state-of-the art audio visual capabilities, Holy Cross Chapel is ready to serve as the center of Catholic worship and education in downtown Houston.